Rizatriptan is a headache medicine that narrows the blood vessels around the brain. Rizatriptan also reduces substances in the body that can trigger headache pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and other migraine symptoms.
Rizatriptan is used to treat migraine headaches. Rizatriptan will only treat a headache that has already begun. It will not prevent headaches or reduce the number of attacks.
Rizatriptan should not be used to treat a common tension headache, a headache that causes loss of movement on one side of your body, or any headache that seems to be different from your usual migraine headaches. Use this medicine only if your condition has been confirmed by a doctor as migraine headaches.
Rizatriptan may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF RIZATRIPTAN (MAXALT, MAXALT-MLT)?
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using rizatriptan and call your doctor at once if you have:
- sudden and severe stomach pain and bloody diarrhea;
- cold feeling or numbness in your feet and hands;
- heart attack symptoms–chest pain or pressure, pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder, nausea, sweating;
- high levels of serotonin in the body-agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate, overactive reflexes, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination, fainting;
- signs of a stroke-sudden numbness or weakness (especially on one side of the body), sudden severe headache, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- or dangerously high blood pressure – severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure.
Common side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, tired feeling;
- or pain or a feeling of pressure in your throat or chest.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT RIZATRIPTAN (MAXALT, MAXALT-MLT)?
You should not use this medicine if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, heart problems, a history of heart attack or stroke, or circulation problems that cause a lack of blood supply within the body.
Do not take rizatriptan within 24 hours before or after using another migraine headache medicine.
Do not use this medicine if you have used an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days, such as isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, or tranylcypromine.